Saturday, May 26, 2012

How can we help?







In this TED video, Psychologist Philip Zimbardo asks, "Why are boys struggling?" He shares some stats (lower graduation rates, greater worries about intimacy and relationships) and suggests a few reasons -- and challenges the TED community to think about solutions.


The statistics he shared in this video are alarming:

Boys are 30% more likely than girls to drop or flunk out of school.

Girls out perform boys at all levels from elementary to graduate school.

Boys are less likely to get BA's (44% vs. 56%) and graduate degrees (45% vs. 55%)

Boys make up 2/3 of special ed students.

5 times more likely to have ADHD. 


Boys’ brains are being digitally rewired for change, novelty, excitement and constant arousal. That means they’re totally out of sync in traditional classes, which are analog, static, interactively passive.” (Philip Zimbardo)

This quote from Zimbaro's book the Demise of  Guys  struck a chord with me.  I have noticed the differences of behaviors between girls and boys in my classroom, mostly I attribute it to physical movement.  I have had boys that couldn't sit in their sits as long as expected in lessons.  I even have allowed them to stand behind their seats and listen to lessons.  Progressively I have noticed behaviors that are much more disconcerting.  Performance on classwork is becoming inconsistent with boys. I have begun to see boys who are very capable and have the skills to complete classwork, often not applying themselves to the task at hand.  Even assessments on computerized programs showing performance that varies from proficient to well below proficiency.  What are some solutions?  Any thoughts?



 

2 comments:

  1. Shaune,
    Really interesting. I can see that in the population that I work with, but always attributed it to boys maturing at a slower rate. Why would the technology be rewiring boys brains more than girls? I would like to have the time to explore this further.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Amy! Let me know if you find any information on it. I wonder if boys are on the games and the net more often?

    ReplyDelete